Home Gym: Your Daughter Is...

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Your Daughter Is...



I have walked through the IEP process in school with Blake for 5 years now.  We discuss his deficiencies, his strengths, we match goals to his current abilities. We discuss how best to help him. And its pretty straightforward. I've had a blessing with great staff, therapists, and administrators who graciously handle his IEP in a way that keeps him as the main focus, for the all of these years.



And with Down Syndrome, overall, its typically what you see is what you get.

Yesterday we sat down for another meeting for my daughter. She has undergone IEP accommodation testing the past few months, after we resolved to see if she would qualify.  School is difficult for her in many ways. And its unfair. I hate that she can't learn like other kids learn.  Or she can't relate to her peers like other kids her age.

She had a diagnosis of Asperger's many year's ago and I always felt it wasn't accurate.  So maybe that's me in denial, or maybe that's my mom gut.  We have adjusted diet. We have done counseling. We have done family therapy. We have provided after school tutoring.  We work at home as much as we can on her areas of struggle.  We have added interventions at school for her. We include her in activities she can thrive in and also learn from.  We work to set an example for her.  Teach her. 

And yesterday I kept fighting this feeling of..."it wasn't enough."

As you listen to the staff list off where she struggled, where she had deficiencies, where she came up short...it is REALLY HARD...not to feel guilty.  Could we have done more? Should we have tested earlier?  Why can't she just learn like others?  We didn't make the right choices. We shouldn't have moved so many times...

The same concept I scream, preach and encourage YOU all to fight for "i am enough."  Left me hanging yesterday.  I didn't feel I was enough for a few hours there.  It's heart-breaking to feel like if you would have only "coulda shoulda woulda"...

Things could be different for her.
And as we drove home, she was tired. Hangry. And insecure about what the next few months of her school will look like...I blocked out her words...and I just kept fighting off the lies in my head trying to convince me I had failed her. Because I fully knew that wasn't true.

And as I went live last night to share with you all about "the journey." Enduring the struggle, embracing the hardships, and sticking to it--not being a Quitzilla...because the end result/transformation would be worth it.  I thought to myself.  These words are just as important for me to hear as anyone else.

And so here we go...embracing the hardship of another journey in my life, helping a child who loves school but can't learn the way others learn---find a way to learn. And cope.  That is unique to her.

And so begins...
Operation: LEARN.

So here I am, being transparent, open, and real with you about my new journey...one that I'm going to confidently embrace the hardship of knowing for my daughter's transformation and sake...it will be worth it!

--->>If you missed my LIVE broadcast last night, hop on over to: fb.com/anna.woods.homegym and scroll down to LIVE video's.  <<---



No comments :

Post a Comment