Home Gym: Overcomers Part I

Friday, February 5, 2016

Overcomers Part I

People ask me all the time why I coach exercise. Why I love exercise. And how I stay motivated.

And to be completely honest, it's because of what I experience from it. From my own personal gains. My experiences with other people's success with exercise. But most importantly the changes people have because of their commitment to fitness...

I wrote this series awhile back and want to share it all with you!
Here's Part I...

OVERCOMERS> I am going to be sharing a series of overcoming stories for the next few weeks that are of friends and family who have used exercise as a resource for recovery. Whatever it may be. Addiction. Death. Infertility. Depression. Hurts. Pains. Fear. And many more...
I hope you will listen in, follow along because if you want to discuss non-scale victories. Pay attention. There is a whole other realm to fitness and health and what it can be for you and I.
Tonight's story is: Joey Siela.
I met Joey at a CrossFit competition last fall. I was intrigued. He is what we call "virtuous" as an athlete. All in. Focused. Determined. Intense. Yet makes it look easy. I could sense there was something behind that intensity. Something more. Something beyond maybe even him. But I could feel it. Knew it. So I asked. And this is his story. I wrote this story to appear in the ‪#‎CrossFit‬ journal but have chosen to share it here instead...

Joey Siela has been clean since April 16, 2011. A year and a half before he walked into B-Fit CrossFit. The night of April 15, Siela got as loaded as he could on drugs to try and wipe away the pain he felt from his girlfriend leaving him and taking his two kids. The use of mind-altering drugs worked the past 16 years to avoid pain, but this night it would not. He went to his first recovery meeting the following night and never looked back. Siela’s recovery process is the only way his CrossFit experience is possible. The 12-step fellowship program Siela’s following for his drug addiction and Crossfit have lots of similarities--his recovery program consists of a bunch of people thrust together from diverse backgrounds with one common bond of addiction bringing them together. On the other hand, his new CrossFit gym, ‪#‎HIDDENGYM‬, and its community represents a common bond of fitness and competitiveness. His recovery program and his CrossFit gym filled the voids he was seeking before in drugs...they replaced his "high."
In addition, he says his recovery is a process that is always evolving and never ending-much like CrossFit. Siela shares his experience of recovery and CrossFit in prisons, jails, and recovery centers-and he credits the #HIDDENGYM community for helping push him inside and outside of the walls of the gym.
Now he’s using the #HIDDENGYM movement to help others in need. As people have so generously given to him and helped him, he's ready to do the same. He is an amazing athlete. Dad. And soon to be husband. Owner of his own construction business.
And an amazing ‪#‎overcomer‬.

No comments :

Post a Comment