Home Gym: 5 Best Strength Exercises for Runner's

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

5 Best Strength Exercises for Runner's

I get asked a lot about strength training moves for runner's.

It usually consists of someone who has been running for a while and has sore knees, plantar fasciitis, or isn't losing weight like they had hoped.  People don't realize that running is actually a muscle deteriorating exercise.

I typically ask the person: "would you do 1000 quarter squats or quarter lunges 6 days a week?"  (and most runners I know don't stretch of warm up or cool down well, but I won't go there yet) And they look at me confused..."NO!! Why would I do that?"

And I say, "well you are! Running is a continuous forward motion of quarter squats...over and over...and over and over."  Most are perplexed by this realization.  When you do a movement like this continually day after day, you are bound to get injured and develop muscle imbalances.  So this is how I approach the movements I recommend my running clients to do.

1) We discuss areas of pain.  We look at the tread on his/her shoes to see how they run.  If they roll out or in with their feet and ankles.

2) Then we look at the antagonist muscles that are usually neglected in a running plan and discuss how we can strengthen those to create more of a balance in our muscles and therefore joint patterns of movement.

3) Lastly we discuss how running isn't a great fat-burning exercise. It's more of a energy-busting move. That too much running can actually be more of a detriment to one's fat loss, than a help.

So here are the 5 best strengthening movements I suggest for my runner's to incorporate into their routine:
1) Good Mornings -- 3x15 using a moderate weight
Here are my best tips on that move here.

2) Pull-Ups/Hanging Negatives/Supine Row--4x5
There are many variations to this move, but squeezing the shoulder blades down and back and tilting the head up slightly will help engage the back...which is what we want.  Here is one variation to try-->
3) Abs--> 3x10 per side (light kettlebell or dumbbell)
I typically don't prescribe crunches, sit ups, stationary biking and bench press for my runners because they are already very tight and short in muscle length on the front side. I like prescribing movements that will provide a stretch and a strength. So this one targets the obliques.

4) Deep Squats--> 3x10 adding weight each set.
You might think its silly to prescribe squats when I just told you running is a series of quarter squats. But here is the difference...deep squats, as in getting the hip crease below the knee crease is actually very beneficial for runners. It requires the activation of the glutes, core, and hamstrings to stand back up..AND it stretches those tight hip flexors and calves. If you can't get this low, drop the weight until you can.  I have worked with several ultra runners who could not even squat past parallel because their calves were so tight.


5) Superman's--> 2x20 SLOW...
Lie flat on your stomach. Squeeze the butt tight. Neck in alignment with the back. Head facing down.  Reach your fingertips back toward your heels as you lift your head, shoulders, chest, knees and feet off the floor at the same time, squeeze tight in the back and hold for a second...then slowly release back down to the floor. Keep breathing throughout the movement. Make sure to squeeze the glutes tight before lifting...make them do the work.





 To get MORE workout video's and tips like this sent straight to your inbox, PLUS a 4-week strength training template to fitness and exercise for beginner's....sign up below! I will send you the first workout NOW!



We respect your email privacy
ANNALUNGE.jpg
 YES! Please send me 4-Week's of Daily Workouts to Teach me How to Strength Train Safely and Effectively at Home in under 15 minutes a Day!!!
Follow me at:
IG-@shestrength
Fb: Anna Woods Fitness
Snapchat: home.gym
Email: anna@shestrength.com

No comments :

Post a Comment