Home Gym: It's 12:20 AM, WHAT??

Monday, August 8, 2016

It's 12:20 AM, WHAT??




Leah was born.
4 months later we moved to Kansas. To a town we didn't know anyone.  I had just graduated with my degree in exercise science.  I had stopped my pursuit of PA school when I found out I was expecting because I was so sick and my priorities changed.  We bought a house in the country, away from neighbors.  We had no family close.  And I never felt SO alone than I did during that first year living there.  But I KNEW I wanted to stay home with my daughter if I could make it work financially.  I KNEW I still wanted to pursue my dream of fitness, coaching, training, and changing lives through health.  But I KNEW the town we lived in had no gym, no jobs in my area of expertise or interest.  SO I decided to make it work, my own way.  I started my own personal training business in my basement.  I called the retirement community in the town every week for at least 5 months asking if they were interested in implementing special population fitness into their resident's lives because I had a passion for helping the elderly through strength training.  After the 6th month, they finally called back and offered me a job as a trial run.  While I started that job, I was also emailing the town's recreation department about teaching fitness classes at the local school or park.  Anyway I could get my name out there. I made business cards, flyers, talked to anyone I could.  I spoke with local physicians in that town and nearby towns about referrals. I spoke with local pharmacies about advertising my services.  And slowly I started with 1-2 clients at my house...I would train with them while my Leah took naps or crawled around in her playpen.  And then I took her with me to the retirement community to teach classes.  And she came with me to my fitness classes in the evenings at the local elementary school. 

And I make it work.  Because I wanted to be a mom first. Fitness professional second.  And I didn't want to settle for any other options.  I worked a LOT.  Late at night. Early mornings.  I hustled hard because I had a vision for where I wanted my business to go and what I needed to make in income to be able to continue with the set-up I had at that time.  In my mind there were no other options...

Fast forward 10 years, 2 kids later.  And here I am at a point in my life where I want to be able to to continue to stay home. Be a mom.  Be available for their needs and activities.  But all 3 will be in school so I need to kick it into gear to be able to justify staying home. I need to hustle.  So what am I doing? I am making it work.  I am sharing my story. I am empowering women. I am getting up early, staying up late. I am working between doctor's appointments, kids playdates, pool swim lessons, gymnastics practices, while my husband is working, while my friends are out socializing, while other women are watching their favorite nightly TV shows...I AM WORKING.  Because I have a vision.  A why.  A "need for this to work." And you know what? It is.  Because I have no other option but for it to work.  And in my experience I've learned THAT IS ALL IT REALLY IS.

A MINDSET.  A mindset that failure is not an option.

So you hustle. You sacrifice. And you work even when you don't see the fruits of your labor...yet.  Because you know it is coming. And it WILL work.  So don't feel like you have to settle. You don't have options.  Because you DO.  YOU start now.  You pursue your passion---you work really hard at it for a long time---and IT WILL HAPPEN if your mindset is that of 'I CAN. I WILL. I'M UNSTOPPABLE.

So it's 12:20 am on a Saturday night...what are you doing??
I'm working. Hustling.  Because I BELIEVE so much in what I'm doing and where I'm headed.  There is no other optionn.


No comments :

Post a Comment