Home Gym: What You Should Wear for a CrossFit Competition...

Friday, November 18, 2016

What You Should Wear for a CrossFit Competition...






Needed bra coverage...



Raven and I are competing at a CrossFit competition tomorrow in Goddard, Kansas.  We are competing to raise funds and awareness for Epilepsy.  For the parents of children with Epilepsy. For the adults who have struggled their entire life with it...

Being a mom of children with special needs, I empathize with the daily exhaustion. The constant on-call feeling of not knowing what the day will bring from minute to minute.  The constant advocating and fighting for their child's rights.  The therapies and doctor's appointments. The anger and injustice it seems that your child has to struggle.  AND the complete admiration and fierce love for how amazing and strong your child is.

So that is why I am competing...for those momma's!  I feel you. I see you.  I admire you.

SEE THE FULL EVENT DETAILS HERE--> https://www.facebook.com/events/630746410435500/


But...as excited as I am to workout for the instances above.

There is also another fun concept to competing.
THE OUTFITS.

You may just think CrossFit girls like wearing booty shorts and bra's to show off their beautiful muscle...but there IS a lot of strategy to it as well.

1) The socks.
I have socks packed tomorrow in my bad for a few purposes. I will probably wear socks for the workouts that require box jumps, deadlifts, and rope climbs.  You see, these socks act as a barrier between my skin and those items. Ha! I prefer to keep my skin intact.  And one episode of having your skin scraped off by a box or a barbell will help you understand the need for these socks.

Also, I will wear them post-workout. Compression is a recovery tool. So I will probably wear these socks tomorrow night to bed to help keep inflammation out of my feet and ankles and knees.  It helps with circulation and soreness.



2) The shorts.
Let me tell you this...my husband wasn't a super fan of the shorts that most of us wear for these workouts.  But he has attended enough competitions with me now to know why.  The first example was wearing my Lulu loose shorts with a drawstring at a summer competition that required handstand push ups (going upside down)...and the loose front of the shorts fell forward revealing my beautiful panties underneath. HAHA!  I had to just hurry even more to finish so I could stand up and recover my embarassment.

The second reason is double unders.  I have competed at another competition wearing similar loose fitting shorts, had a HUGE amount of jump rope double unders in the workout, AND had TO STOP BECAUSE my shorts had dropped down below my butt crack line.  And it was NOT a pretty sight.  So after those two embarrassing moments. He understands the need for the tighter-fitting shorts in certain workouts. They actually do serve a purpose outside of being a sex symbol like most assume.




 3) The bras.
I will be honest on this one. I do not have a huge need for a ton of support with bras, but I do love having cute ones to wear under tank tops, etc.  And bra's for "small" girls are like narrow-foot shoes, they come in one color and a boring style. But here's my issue...if the bra doesn't have enough support under the chest area...and you jump up to grab a bar for pull-up's, the unsupported bra can roll up on you as fast as a pulled cord on a window shade.  And THAT is a bad feeling.  Also, if you don't have added support around the top of your chest and neck...then every time you bend over to grab a bar or a kettle bell, everything is revealed through the top.  So make fun of the caged bras or the strappy backs...but they do serve a purpose and are part of my strategy in purchasing and in wearing to events.


 4) The shoes.
I LOVE shoes.  I love having all colors of shoes.  In fact I buy shoes to match outfits and bras.  But I also buy shoes according to my needs.  So for example, my lifting shoes.  They serve a purpose. They have a higher heel on them for squats and olympic lifting type movements. They have a wide foot area for better balance and stability and they are heavy.  I bought them in dark blue to go with most outfits and because I plan to use them for many year's ahead.

I also have Nike Metcons and Reebok Nano's in several different colors.  I tend to purchase these every 4-5 months because I wear them out.  These are my running shoes. These are my CrossFit shoes. These are my training client shoes. Wear to the grocery store and park with my kids shoes.  These shoes are great for light lifting as well.  They are a minimalist shoe and have less arch support but a wider toe box. They also have re-enforcements built in the toe box for rope climbing and burpees.   As soon as my knees start aching or the bottom of my feet hurting, I know its time to buy new ones.

I also have running shoes. I do NOT advise people to wear running shoes for lifting or CrossFit. They are too squishy, bouncy and are not made for lateral movements.  I don't buy running shoes as often now as I used too, but I still keep a pair on hand for local races, events, etc.


5) The accessories.
I won't even begin to discuss the extra stuff that goes into packing for a CrossFit competition/event. The pee pads for jumping, squatting, and any other extra bladder-pushing movements.

  The extra hair ties for box jumps and double unders to prevent your ponytail from slowly toppling on top of your face and mouth.  

The chapstick because for whatever reason your lips get SO dry at these all-day events.

So anyway, here's a quick rundown of what will be going through my mind and into my bad today as I pack.  And please know its not all just show, even though that is part of the fun...there is actual reasons behind what wear.  

TO see what we come up with, follow us on social media tomorrow 11/19 as a bunch of us show up to rally behind Epilepsy and those who fight these everyday!



Need shorts that won't fall down when your hands are preoccupied

Socks for that box next to me.

Long pants or socks for the occasional bar bounce off the shins.

And long shirt or tank you can tuck in that won't suffocate your face while upside down.


Now that you have the apparel tips, you need the workouts!
To receive daily workouts and tips sent straight to your inbox daily, register here for my 4-Week Strength Training Template.






We respect your email privacy
ANNALUNGE.jpg
 YES! Please send me 4-Week's of Daily Workouts to Teach me How to Strength Train Safely and Effectively at Home in under 15 minutes a Day!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment